Welcome Aboard

This blog was started to chronicle the preparations to both Serene Dream and us (Don & Gloria) for a short cruise along the Intracoastal Waterway. It is continuing as an open record of our joys and misadventures sailing and towing our Catalina 22 sailboat.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Prior to last Sunday's problems I adjusted the carburetor so that the outboard will actually idle. Previously, whenever the rpms dropped near idle, it would simply die. In fact I am in the habit of not bothering to remove the kill switch clip to stop the engine, just turn the throttle down and it dies. I believe this partly explains what happened Sunday. After motoring to the vicinity of the race, I turned the throttle down, but the engine didn't die. I pulled the kill switch.

On Monday I played with the engine to try to see what was wrong. I found it was very easy to flood the engine while trying to start it. Maybe that happened Sunday? I leaned the mix a bit and the engine ran better and idled way better.

I poured the gas from the external tank into a transparent gallon jug that had held tea in an earlier life. I cut off the neck to open it up and make it easier to pour into and out of. Result: gas was completely clear. No sign of water. I poured it into my truck's tank.  I will now refill it with fresh gas and Sta-Bil.

I have sunglasses with a built-in video camera at the bridge. They are made for hunters, but they work reasonably well for me. While reviewing the video of Sunday's race, I noticed that the kill switch clip was in the cockpit, not on the engine. Then it hit me. I'm not used to thinking about the kill switch. I never put it on the engine after the race! No wonder it wouldn't start!

Well, that's an easier fix than the others I've been considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment